Ukraine rushed through a law on Thursday to protect its top anti-corruption agencies from political meddling, reversing a move last week to strip them of their independence that sparked street protests and strong criticism from the European Union.
Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, signed the new Bill after it was backed 331-0 by deputies in the Kyiv parliament, triggering cheers from demonstrators nearby who had held the first protests of Ukraine’s full-scale war with Russia to force their country’s authorities to change course on the issue.
“This is the right decision. It is very important that the state listens to public opinion. That it hears its citizens. Ukraine is a democracy – without a doubt,” said Mr Zelenskiy, who faced a barrage of domestic and international criticism after signing a law last week to dramatically increase his own power over the anti-graft agencies.
“This is a guarantee of the proper independent functioning of Ukraine’s anti-corruption bodies,” he added. “It ensures the absence of any external influence or interference, including through regular polygraph checks for all law-enforcement personnel who have access to state secrets or have relatives in Russia.”
READ MORE
Critics largely dismissed claims of Russian influence on the agencies, which are known by their acronyms Nabu and Sapo. Instead, they accused Mr Zelenskiy and allies – including powerful unelected officials in his administration – of trying to shield associates from investigation.
“The voice of Ukrainian society was heard! Let this be a lesson – and may such attacks never be repeated,” Olena Halushka, a board member at Ukraine’s anti-corruption action centre, wrote on social media after Thursday’s vote.
Protests in Kyiv and other cities over the last week – despite a constant threat of Russian missile and drone strikes – were accompanied by calls from the EU and several western governments for Mr Zelenskiy to safeguard anti-corruption institutions. The EU said it would withhold €1.5 billion in funding due to concerns over the issue.
“President Zelenskiy’s signature on the law restoring Nabu and Sapo independence is a welcome step,” said European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen. “Ukraine’s rule of law and anti-corruption reforms should continue. They remain essential for Ukraine’s progress on the European path. The EU will continue to support these efforts.”
The controversy threatened to create a rift between Ukraine and European allies at a time when Russia is again intensifying ground and air attacks on the country and US president Donald Trump is demanding an end to Europe’s biggest war since 1945.
[ The Irish Times view on Ukraine and democracy: public force Zelenskiy to retreatOpens in new window ]
“Both Russia and Ukraine must negotiate a ceasefire and durable peace. It is time to make a deal,” senior US diplomat John Kelley told the United Nations security council on Thursday. “President Trump has made clear this must be done by August 8th. The United States is prepared to implement additional measures to secure peace.”
Mr Trump has sharpened his formerly conciliatory rhetoric towards Russia in recent days, and threatens to impose “severe” tariffs on states – such as China and India – that buy Russian oil, unless the Kremlin agrees to a ceasefire by next Friday.
In an exchange on social media, former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev told Mr Trump that his “ultimatum game” was increasing the likelihood of war between their countries, prompting the US leader to warn him to “watch his words” because he was “entering very dangerous territory”.

Ukrainian officials said at least 13 civilians were killed – including a six-year-old boy – and 135 hurt in missile and drone strikes on Kyiv in the early hours of Thursday.
Russia said its forces had fully occupied the destroyed town of Chasiv Yar in eastern Ukraine, but Kyiv said the claim was “propaganda” and fighting for the town continued.