Two girls sexually assaulted in Ikea superstore, court told

IT professional Christian Mayer (47) was extradited from Germany to face charges

An IT professional accused of sexually assaulting two young girls shopping with their families at Ikea in Dublin has been given two months to indicate how he will plead.

Christian Mayer (47), with an address at Johannes Strasse in Nuremberg, was extradited from Germany last month to be charged but had been granted bail at Dublin District Court.

He was accused of sexually assaulting a girl on a date in August 2019 and sexually assaulting another girl five days later at the Ikea superstore on St Margaret’s Road, Dublin 11.

They were aged 13 and 10.


Mr Mayer, who previously lived at Shanowen Road, Santry, Dublin, also faces two counts under section 45 of the 2017 Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act. These charges are for engaging in offensive conduct of a sexual nature.

The case resumed on Thursday for a ruling on his trial venue.

Judge Treasa Kelly noted the Director of Public Prosecutions directed summary disposal in the district court, not in a trial in the circuit court, which has broader sentencing powers.

Outlining the allegations, Garda Stephen Donnelly told Judge Kelly the mother of the 13-year-old contacted gardaí to report “her daughter had been sexually assaulted by a man that had grabbed and squeezed her breast area”.

The second girl was allegedly touched in her breast area five days later.

“Both kids were in the Ikea store with their parents shopping at the time,” said Garda Donnelly.

The court heard the alleged touching was on the outside of their clothing.

Garda Donnelly said CCTV evidence was obtained.

A security officer alerted gardaí after the accused allegedly returned to the shop on November 16th, 2019. He was arrested that day.

Mr Mayer did not have to attend the proceedings on Thursday and is back in Germany.

Judge Kelly adjourned the case for nine weeks when Mr Mayer must formally enter a plea.

An earlier bail hearing was told he had lived in Dublin for several years and worked in a city centre firm. The court set €15,000 bail.