Cooking Time: 55 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
- For the rhubarb:
- 500g rhubarb, peeled and cut into even pieces
- 120g caster sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- For the cake mix:
- 170g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 170g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 lemon, zested
- Edible flowers, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a loaf tin with butter and baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the peeled rhubarb, caster sugar, and lemon zest. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and spread it out evenly.
- In another bowl, beat the softened butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Sift the self-raising flour into the bowl with the butter and sugar and fold it in gently until just combined. Stir in the milk and lemon zest.
- Spoon the cake mix over the rhubarb mixture in the loaf tin and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Garnish with the edible flowers.
- Turn the cake out on to a serving plate and serve.
Find more of Gráinne O’Keefe’s spring recipes here.