Cooking Time: 20 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
- 250g lentils (I like to use beluga but whatever you have is fine)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion
- 50g butter
- 2tbs madras curry powder, or paste to taste
- 2tbs tomato purée
- 1/2tsp cumin
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 150g crème fraîche or yoghurt
- 1 bunch or coriander, leaves picked and stalks finely chopped
- Salt and black pepper
1. In a pot, sweat the lentils, sweet potato, garlic and chopped onion in butter for 10 minutes. Add the curry powder or paste, tomato purée, cumin, lemon juice and vegetable stock and cook until lentils are soft. This will take about 20 minutes, depending on the type of lentils you are using, so taste as it cooks.
2. Add the finely chopped stalks of the coriander about halfway through the cooking time.
3. Add the diced chilli and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche or yoghurt, chopped coriander leaves and lemon zest.