The US department of justice has closed its investigation into former vice president Mike Pence without filing any charges related to classified documents found in his Indiana home, a department official said on Friday.
The department notified Mr Pence through a letter, the official said.
Representatives for Mr Pence, who served under former Republican president Donald Trump, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
After revelations of classified material found at Mr Trump’s Florida residence after he left office, the National Archives called on former presidents and vice presidents to make checks for any material that should be in the government’s possession.
A lawyer for Mr Pence had notified authorities about the discovery of records with classified markings, prompting an FBI search for records at his Indianapolis residence this year.
NBC and CNN reported the closing of the investigation earlier on Friday.
Mr Pence’s spokesman has said the former vice president has “fully co-operated” with the inquiry and Mr Pence himself has publicly acknowledged what he called a mistake.
A justice department special counsel, Jack Smith, is investigating Mr Trump’s handling of classified materials since leaving office in January 2021.
A separate special counsel was appointed to conduct an investigation after US president Joe Biden reported finding some classified material in his possession.
Both Mr Biden and Mr Trump are seeking the presidency in the 2024 election. Pence is expected to announce his candidacy next week. – Reuters