Mayo work past Roscommon to secure another Connacht minor crown

Sides level on seven points apiece early in the second half but Mayo pull away for third consecutive minor crown

Mayo 0-14 Roscommon 0-10

Mayo came good to complete their third Connacht minor football final success in a row at Dr Hyde Park.

The sides were level at 0-7 apiece early in the second half, but Mayo, led by Oisín Deane and Kobe McDonald, punished a few costly Roscommon errors to run out deserving winners.

There was little to choose between the teams during the opening exchanges.

Both sides fared better on the opposition’s kickout as Roscommon tried to beat a relentless Mayo press that started high up the field.


Oisín Deane opened the scoring for the visitors after Evan Walsh snaffled a kickout from Roscommon goalkeeper, Patrick Gaynor.

But a great catch by Roscommon midfielder, Darragh Devaney, ignited a move that procured the equalising score for Dean Casey.

Walsh restored Mayo’s lead from an acute angle but a couple of frees from Dara Curran handed the Rossies a 0-3 to 0-2 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Mayo had to bide their time to work their openings and their patience was rewarded with points for Conor Moriarity and Kobe McDonald.

Alan Conroy brought the sides level once more before a McDonald free from 40 metres edged Mayo back in front.

But a crucial Roscommon turnover in the final meaningful action of the half saw the home team work the ball upfield, leading to Stephen Tighe landing an audacious equaliser with the outside of his boot to leave the sides deadlocked, 0-5 apiece, at the break.

By the 36th minute, it was 0-7 apiece as Curran and Cathal Enright exchanged scores with Deane and Walsh (free), and it was anybody’s game.

But Mayo’s strength began to tell as they started to punish Roscommon’s mounting error count.

McDonald landed a delightful free from 55 metres, and further scores followed from Deane and substitute Andrew Quinn.

But Roscommon came again and a Dean Casey point was followed by a goal chance for Curran, which he drilled over the crossbar.

The game’s pivotal moment arrived with nine minutes remaining when Roscommon goalkeeper, Patrick Gaynor, was caught in possession and subsequently dragged down Mayo substitute, Joe Forry.

Gaynor was shown a black card and McDonald pointed the resultant free.

From there, Mayo comfortably kept their Rossies at arm’s length to successfully defend their title and win the Tom Kilcoyne Cup.

Mayo: N. Roddy; C. Coghill, T Hession, D Butler; D Hurley, M Noonan, M Sheeran; J Moyles, O Loughney; H McHale, K McDonald (0-6, five frees), D Flynn; E Walsh (0-2, one free), O Deane (0-3), C Moriarty (0-1).

Subs: A. Quinn (0-1) for Moriarty (h-t), J. Forry (0-1) for McHale (43 mins).

Roscommon: P Gaynor; L Finneran, G Casey, C Murray; E Collins, K Kelly, D Kennedy; D Delaney, C Enright (0-1); J McKeon, D Curran (0-4, two frees), A Conroy (0-1); S Tighe (0-1), S McGuinness, D Casey (0-3, one free).

Subs: S McDonnell for McKeon (41 mins), M Connaughton for Kennedy (48), S Malec-Hannon for Tighe (57), M Brooks for G Casey (58), J Oates for D Casey (60).

Referee: C Ryan (Galway).