- 1 whole sea bass, cleaned and scaled; you can leave the head on or off
- 2 thin slices of ginger (cut into fine strips)
- 2 stalks of spring onion (cut into fine strips)
- 2 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
The sea bass is steamed with ginger and spring onions, which gives it a refreshing and aromatic taste. This dish is a good source of protein and is often served as part of a larger meal during Chinese New Year.
1. Rinse the sea bass and pat it dry with a paper towel. Place it on a heat-resistant plate.
2. Cut the ginger into thin slices and then into fine strips, and do the same with the spring onions. Place the ginger and spring onion on top of the sea bass, leaving a little aside for the finishing later.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the light soy sauce and sesame oil and pour the mixture over the sea bass.
4. Place the plate with the sea bass in a steamer and steam over high heat for about 10-12 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
5. Remove the plate from the steamer and serve the sea bass hot, garnished with additional ginger and spring onion, if desired. Heat the vegetable oil until it is smoking, then pour it over the ginger and spring onion garnish; this will release the aroma of the aromatics over the fish.