Cooking Time: 10 mins
Prep Time: 40 mins
- 450g mashed potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped mixed herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, dill)
- 85g Tipo 00 flour (or plain flour), plus more as needed
- Semolina or rice flour, for dusting
- For the butter:
- 100g butter
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped herbs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Gently warm the mashed potato in a pan or microwave as this will help incorporate the other ingredients.
- Form a well in the center of the mash and add the egg yolk, salt, chopped herbs and sprinkle some of the flour on top. Gently mix a few times with a fork to combine, gradually adding the rest of the flour as you go. Stop mixing once the dough starts to clump together.
- With your hands, gently bring the dough together to form a cohesive ball. The texture should feel soft, warm and smooth. If it’s very sticky add a sprinkle of flour. Cover with an upturned bowl and let rest for 10 minutes (this makes the dough easier to handle).
- Cut the dough ball into four equal pieces. Roll one piece into a 10- to 12-inch log. Cut across into 20 gnocchi, about half an inch in size. Press each one gently with a fork for that traditional gnocchi pattern. Transfer to a sheet pan dusted in rice flour or semolina flour to prevent sticking. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large shallow pan, whisking constantly. Once it has melted add the red chilli flakes. Continue to cook and whisk for two to three minutes, until you see brown sediment on the bottom of the pan and the butter has turned a light brown colour and it smells nutty.
- Remove the pan from heat, add the garlic, black pepper, herbs and lemon zest. Whisk off heat for another 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the gnocchi for one to two minutes, till they float to the top. Gently drain with a slotted spoon and add to your brown butter pan. Divide between four bowls and top with Parmesan and black pepper.