Australian police hunt gunman after two officers shot dead in rural town

Incident in Porepunkah, 300km northeast of Melbourne, reportedly happened while warrant for historical sex abuse allegations being served

Police wait near the scene of a shooting in Porepunkah, Victoria. Photograph: Simon Dallinger/AAP Image via AP
Police wait near the scene of a shooting in Porepunkah, Victoria. Photograph: Simon Dallinger/AAP Image via AP

A manhunt is under way after two Australian police officers were killed and another wounded in a shooting at a rural property in Victoria.

In a statement late on Tuesday afternoon, Victoria police confirmed two on-duty officers had been shot and killed and a third seriously injured during the incident on Tuesday morning in Porepunkah, 300km northeast of Melbourne, with the alleged offender still on the run.

The officers were among 10 who attended a property on Rayner Track, shortly after 10.30am on Tuesday, to execute a search warrant.

“I can confirm, tragically, that two of our fine Victoria police officers today lost their lives in the line of duty,” chief commissioner Mike Bush said.

“They were fired upon. The two deceased officers are still at the scene. A third officer was seriously injured and is currently in surgery in hospital.”

Police said no other officers were injured but they remain at the property. The injured officer is in a serious but stable condition.

“The exact circumstances surrounding the incident are still being determined and it remains an active and ongoing situation,” they said.

Victoria police said it was believed the alleged offender had since left the property in the state’s Alpine region and his whereabouts remained unknown.

Mr Bush said all specialist resources had been deployed into the area to find the alleged offender and arrest them. This includes detectives from the homicide, armed crime, fugitive squads and the special operations group and critical incident response team.

“I want to further assure the rural community around Bright that we will do everything to bring this person into custody so that your community is safe. Can I please ask you just to stay at home, not go out and about at the moment, until this operation is concluded,” he said.

The mayor of Alpine shire, Sarah Nicholas, offered her heartfelt condolences to the friends, family and colleagues of the two police officers “tragically killed”.

“Today has been a day of deep sorrow and shock for our community,” she said. “We hold our police in the highest regard. They serve with courage, compassion, and dedication, and their loss is felt profoundly across our region. We are deeply grateful for their service and commitment.”

The secretary of Victoria’s Police Association, Wayne Gatt, said members were “devastated” by the “senseless” deaths of “our mates, colleagues and dearly loved family members”.

He said the loss of officers was “difficult to comprehend” and the association was assisting all members involved and their families.

Australian prime minister Anthony Albanese said his thoughts were with the police.

Earlier in the day, a local caravan park and the Porepunkah Primary School went into lockdown as police searched for the offender. By Tuesday afternoon, the school’s principal, Jill Gillies, confirmed almost all the students had returned home.

“It’s been quite an ordeal,” she told ABC Melbourne.

Local businesses have closed, with the Porepunkah Pub offering to prepare meals for police officers on the scene, and the airstrip providing fuel for the air wing. – Guardian

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2025

  • Join The Irish Times on WhatsApp and stay up to date

  • Sign up for push alerts to get the best breaking news, analysis and comment delivered directly to your phone

  • Listen to In The News podcast daily for a deep dive on the stories that matter