Newcastle sign forward Nick Woltemade from Stuttgart in club record deal

Nicolas Jackson’s move to Bayern Munich off after injury to Liam Delap

Nick Woltemade: moving from VfB Stuttgart. Photograph: Ronny Hartmann/Getty
Nick Woltemade: moving from VfB Stuttgart. Photograph: Ronny Hartmann/Getty

Newcastle United have signed German forward Nick Woltemade from Stuttgart in a club-record deal, the Premier League club said on Saturday.

Financial details were not revealed but British media reported that the deal was worth €80 million (£69m).

The 23-year-old’s deal eclipses the £63 million Newcastle paid for Sweden striker Alexander Isak three years ago when he became the club’s most expensive player.

Woltemade came through Werder Bremen’s academy and became their youngest Bundesliga debutant in 2020 at the age of 17. He joined Stuttgart last year and scored 17 goals in 33 appearances across all competitions.

With Isak unavailable as he pushes for a move to Liverpool, Woltemade may have to adapt quickly and make an impact, though he has not been registered in time to make his debut in Newcastle’s away game against Leeds United later on Saturday.

“We are delighted to get Nick’s signing over the line so quickly. He fits the profile for exactly what we have been looking for to add to our attacking options,” manager Eddie Howe said.

“He’s strong in a lot of areas – he has great technical ability and has proven himself to be a real threat in one of Europe’s top leagues – but he’s also still at an age where he has plenty of room to develop and grow here.”

Capped twice by Germany, the 6ft 5in forward has been called up for the World Cup qualifiers against Slovakia and Northern Ireland in September.

“It’s a big step in my life to leave Germany but everybody has welcomed me so well and it already feels like family,” Woltemade said.

“I have a really good feeling from speaking to the head coach that this is the right place for me to find my best level ... From the first contact, I felt like the club really wanted me and had big plans for me.”

Meanwhile, Chelsea have cancelled Nicolas Jackson’s loan move to Bayern Munich after Liam Delap was ruled out for “six to eight weeks” following their controversial 2-0 win over Fulham at Stamford Bridge, the PA news agency understands.

Delap limped off with a hamstring problem 13 minutes into the west London derby, and after head coach Enzo Maresca initially refused to rule out the club reentering the transfer market with just over 48 hours of the window remaining, the decision has been taken to inform Bayern that Jackson will be staying.

However, the 24-year-old, who has already landed in Germany, is furious with the club’s U-turn.

Earlier on Saturday, Christopher Nkunku’s £36 million move to AC Milan was confirmed, meaning Maresca would have been left with summer signing Joao Pedro as his only fit striker.

A year-long loan for Jackson with an option for the Bundesliga champions to buy for £56m had been agreed before the match.

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2025

  • Join The Irish Times on WhatsApp and stay up to date

  • What’s making headlines in the rugby world? Listen to The Counter Ruck podcast with Nathan Johns

  • Sign up for push alerts to get the best breaking news, analysis and comment delivered to your phone