Two men charged in connection with murder of Keane Mulready-Woods (17) in 2020

Parts of body of teenager from Drogheda were found in number of locations in Dublin and Louth

A Dublin man has been accused of the “disposal of body parts” and impeding the investigation into the murder and dismemberment of Drogheda teenager Keane Mulready-Woods in 2020.

Stephen Carberry (46) appeared at Dublin District Court on Friday, and made no bail application after facing three serious charges, which will result in a trial before the non-jury Special Criminal Court.

Judge Monika Leech remanded Mr Carberry, of Adair Apartments, Sandymount, Dublin 4, in custody to appear again on May 31st.

Keane Mulready-Woods (17) was last seen alive by his family on the evening of Sunday, January 12th, 2020. He was killed, and his body was later dismembered.


Remains found at Coolock and in a burnt-out vehicle at Trinity Terrace, Dublin, and at Rathmullan Park in Drogheda, Co Louth, were those of the missing boy.

Mr Carberry was accused of damaging a Volvo V40 car, bearing false registration plates for the benefit of a criminal organisation, by fire on January 15th at Trinity Terrace, Ballybough, Dublin 3.

The second charge alleges that, from January 13th to 15th, 2020, at Trinity Terrace, to enhance the ability of a criminal organisation to commit a serious offence, murder, he participated in or contributed to the transportation and disposal of body parts of Keane Mulready-Woods.

The third charge states that, over the same two-day period at locations in the State, he impeded the apprehension or prosecution of another person who committed the murder, knowing they were guilty of that or another offence.

Detective Sergeant Enda O’Sullivan, Mountjoy station, told Judge Leech that Mr Carberry replied, “I was never in Ballybough,” to one charge and did not respond to the other two.

Detective Sergeant O’Sullivan added that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has decided that Mr Carberry should be tried in the Special Criminal Court. He expected that the book of evidence would not be ready for at least four weeks.

The defence solicitor, John Feaheny, said his client was not applying for bail at this stage. The judge remanded Mr Carberry in custody to appear again next Friday, but noted that the book of evidence would not be ready then.

Legal aid was granted to Mr Carberry.

A second man, Owen Flood (30), who faced related charges, also appeared before the same court. He is accused of using a stolen car at Sandymount Avenue, Dublin 4, on December 19th, 2019.

On the same date, it is alleged that Mr Flood (30) of Ballybough Avenue, Dublin 3, stole €50 worth of diesel from Applegreen Service Station, M1 Northbound, Lusk, Co Dublin.

Detective Sergeant Fergus Finnegan said that Mr Flood’s reply to charge was “I’ll plead guilty straight away”.

The DPP instructed gardaí that Mr Flood would face trial on indictment in the Circuit Court and that a book of evidence must also be drafted for his case. He was granted legal aid after the judge was informed he had “no assets.”

His solicitor, Aoife McTaggart, said the defence was “reserving our position on bail”, and he was remanded in custody to appear again next Friday.

Neither defendant addressed the court during their brief separate appearances before Judge Leech.

Last year, two men were jailed by the Special Criminal Court for connected crimes.

Gerard Cruise (50) of Rathmullan Park, Drogheda, pleaded guilty to a charge that, with knowledge of the existence of a criminal organisation, he facilitated the murder of Keane Mulready-Woods, at Rathmullan Park, Drogheda. He was handed a seven-year jail term.

Paul Crosby (28) of Rathmullan Park, Drogheda, pleaded guilty to the same charge and was imprisoned for 10 years.

Those proceedings heard that the prime suspect in the murder was Robert Lawlor, a “notorious” criminal. Lawlor (36) from Dublin, was shot dead in Belfast in April 2020.