Padraig Amond’s hat-trick secures victory for Waterford over Drogheda

Waterford striker nets a 13-minute hat-trick in a sensational second half which saw Waterford recover from two goals down to take the points

Waterford FC 4 Drogheda United 2

Waterford FC produced a remarkable second half comeback as striker Padraig Amond netted a sensational 13-minute hat-trick that saw the Blues record back-to-back wins in front of the TV cameras with a 4-2 win over second-bottom side Drogheda United in the SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier Division.

It was a direct approach from Kevin Doherty’s side that saw the Louth side strike the front with 20 minutes on the clock. Goalkeeper Wogan launched a goal-kick that split the Blues backline that saw Adam Foley take full advantage to lob the ball over the head of Sam Sargeant from 14 yards.

The second half was less than thirty seconds old when Drogheda doubled their lead. Adam Foley did the spadework on the right to feed the ball into the feet of Zishim Bawa, and he curled an impressive right-footed effort to the top corner past a helpless Sam Sargeant.

Waterford got themselves back into the game on 55 minutes with a move that saw Christie Pattisson send Ben McCormack into the clear down the right, and his right-wing delivery to the near post saw Padraig Amond power a header past keeper Andrew Wogan.


A sensational move then ended with Amond levelling the tie with his seventh goal of the season on 59 minutes before the striker added a third nine minutes later. McCormack sent in a free-kick that was partially headed clear for Dean McMenamy, who cracked in a 25-yarder that saw the hat-trick hero put out a foot to steer it to the left-corner.

A most incredible second half saw the home side grab a fourth goal on 74 minutes. Maleace Asamoah dinked in a right-wing ball that wasn’t dealt with by the Drogheda defence, and Darragh Power capitalised to net his first goal of the campaign.

Waterford FC: Sargeant; Power, Horton, Leahy, McCourt; McDonald (O’Keeffe, 90), McCormack (Akachukwu, 86), Macadam (McMenamy, 5); Asamoah (Parsons, 86), Amond, Pattisson (Evans, 90).

Drogheda United: Wogan; Weir, Webster, Cann; Brennan (Gallagher, 63), Bawa, Markey, Foley, Deegan; Pierrot (Cailloce, 67), Heaney.

Referee: Paul Norton (Dublin).