- For the vegetarian ‘pork’
- 10 large banana skins
- 1tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (or half a fresh chilli)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp water
- 100g barbecue sauce
- 4 burger buns or hotdog rolls
- 4 tbsp thick Greek yoghurt or mayonnaise
- 30g fresh coriander
- For the slaw
- ½ sweetheart cabbage, grated
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (or ½ a fresh chilli)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- ½ tsp sugar or honey
1. Prepare all your slaw ingredients and combine well in a bowl.
2. Open the banana skins and using a spoon scrape the pit or the white inside of the banana, this is a bitter bit and has to be scraped away. This is easy and done in one scoop motion with a spoon. Then take a fork and scrape very hard in strokes, resulting in shredding the skin.
3. Add into a bowl with cumin, paprika, chilli, garlic and salt. Mix well and leave to marinate for five minutes.
4. Warm a large frying pan and add shredded skins. Fry for 2-5 minutes.
5. Add 4 tbsp water and cook on medium heat. Take a shred of skin and bite it to check the texture. If tender enough, the add barbecue sauce. You know it’s tender enough if you like the texture, you’re the boss here. Allow to cook and bubble for 1-2 minutes.
6. Then you’re ready to build your burger. Start by adding a dollop of yoghurt or mayonnaise to your bun, then your slaw, then your vegetarian pulled “pork”, an extra dollop of yoghurt or mayo, chopped coriander, and add the top of the bun and tuck in.