Tipperary strike late to snatch Munster U20 crown from Cork

Tipp move level with Cork on 22 U20 provincial titles and will play Offaly in the All-Ireland final

Tipperary 1-19 Cork 0-21

An outrageous Darragh McCarthy winning point saw Tipperary snatch a dramatic Munster U20 hurling title from Cork and advance to an All-Ireland final against Offaly.

The sides were level an 11th time with William Buckley’s free in the fourth and final minute of added time but in the few remaining seconds, the Toomevara star’s 10th point proved the difference.

Cork frustrations centred around a goal controversially not awarded in the 45th minute. Buckley’s dipping shot seemed to be pushed into the roof of the net by Eoin Horgan but was not spotted by the umpires before it dropped outside the goalline.

It denies the reigning champions an All-Ireland final rematch with Offaly, with Tipp instead marching into next Saturday’s decider at Nowlan Park. The Premier also draw level with Cork on top of the Munster U20 hurling roll of honour with 22 titles.


A cagey first half was level seven times before Tipp headed down the tunnel 0-10 to 0-9 in front, with Ciarán Foley their key scorer from play with three points.

Their midfield pairing was effective with Adam Daly sitting back to hold dangerman Buckley scoreless until the second half while twice teeing up Sam O’Farrell for points.

Cork had Jack Leahy in fine form and he ended the half with 0-6, including two from play, while Diarmuid Healy added two more.

A four-point run took them 0-9 to 0-7 ahead but they wouldn’t score in the final 10 minutes, with captain Ben Currivan blocking a Healy shot at goal from a quickly-taken 21-yard free.

Instead, Tipp reeled off three in a row, including two McCarthy frees, to lead into the break.

Buckley began the second half with the opening score before a monster effort from dual star Hugh O’Connor edged Cork ahead.

Tipp jumped back into the ascendancy with a 1-3 burst, highlighted by a 39th-minute goal from Oisín O’Donoghue after McCarthy robbed Cillian Tobin and Senan Butler laid on the final pass; 1-14 to 0-12.

Cork had more goal chances but the ‘keeper got away with the one as the umpires deemed Buckley’s ball hadn’t crossed the line and Ben Walsh couldn’t force it past Aaron O’Halloran.

Cork’s injection of pace from the bench began to wear down Tipp as they reeled off four in a row, with corner-back Darragh O’Sullivan pushing forward for a brace to cut the gap to one.

They were left to count the cost of 16 wides, including 11 in the second half alone.

McCarthy won three frees and converted each to keep Tipp just ahead until two points from sub Ross O’Sullivan and Buckley’s free levelled. But McCarthy’s magic separated them in the end.

TIPPERARY: E Horgan; C O’Donnell, A O’Halloran, P O’Dwyer; J Collins, B Currivan, M Cawley; S O’Farrell (0-3), A Daly; C English, C Martin, C Foley (0-3); S Butler (0-1), D McCarthy (0-10, six frees, one 65), O O’Donoghue (1-2).

Subs: J O’Callaghan for Cawley (48 mins), E Craddock for Foley (51), R Connolly for Collins (55), S Rowan for English (60), J Egan for O’Donoghue (60+3).

CORK: P O’Sullivan; D Cashman, K Lyons, D O’Sullivan (0-2); Ben Walsh (0-1), C Tobin, J Dwyer; M Finn (0-1), T Wilk (0-1); H O’Connor (0-1), W Buckley (0-3, one free), D Healy (0-3); J Leahy (0-6, four frees), Barry Walsh (0-1), D Cremin.

Subs: J O’Brien for Cashman (43 mins), A O’Sullivan for Finn (44), R O’Sullivan (0-2) for Leahy (47), B O’Flynn for Dwyer (60+1).

Referee: N Malone (Clare).