Media literacy for students vital to protecting democracy, says Minister

Catherine Martin says importance of education in meeting challenge of navigating media environment ‘cannot be understated’

The development of critical thinking and media literacy among students is needed to help protect democracy, Minister for Media, Catherine Martin, has said.

She was speaking at an event to announce the winners of the NewsBrands Ireland Press Pass student journalism competition for transition year students.

At a time when disinformation is spreading rapidly online, Ms Martin said young people need to be equipped with the skills to inform themselves and access trusted information.

“Investment in the development of critical thinking and media literacy in this country is vital and I am acutely aware of this as Minister for Media. The importance of education in meeting the challenges of navigating today’s rapidly changing media environment cannot be understated,” she said.

READ MORE

In all, more than 11,000 transition year students across Ireland took part in the Press Pass competition this year which saw prizes awarded in categories including news writing, features, opinion, sports journalism, photojournalism and best school newspaper.

Students from Moville Community College in Donegal were presented with the overall prize for their student newspaper, TY Times.

Michael Foley, chairman of the Press Pass judging panel, said the students should be proud of themselves for publishing a student newspaper of such high quality.

“The publication stood out immediately for its attention-grabbing front page excellent news and production values and wide range of content which included opinion pieces, local news reports, interviews and sports news and features, and even ‘letters to the editor’. It is clear that a huge amount of work went in to creating this excellent production so congratulations to the students,” he said.

Other winners included Grace De Bhal, Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne, Dingle (features); Cian Morrison, Coláiste An Chraoibhín, Fermoy (news); Elyssa Thornhill, Coláiste an Chraoibhín, Fermoy (opinion); Isabella Danaher, Coláiste Muire, Ennis (photojournalism); Amelia Corcoran, Coláiste Muire, Ennis (sports).

The work of all the finalists is available to view online.

The event, hosted by broadcaster Matt Cooper, was attended by the award-winning school students, their teachers and families, along with newspaper editors and journalists.

Press Pass 2023 Winners

Overall Winner

Moville Community College for TY Times

Features

1. Grace De Bhal, Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne, Dingle
  2. Noah Kavanagh, Moville Community College, Donegal
  3. Beck Fitzgibbon, Clonakilty Community College, Co. Cork

News

1. Cian Morrison, Coláiste An Chraoibhín, Fermoy
  2. Oisín Ó Fearghail, Pobalscoil Chorca Dhuibhne, Dingle
  3. Sadhbh Kennedy, Pobailscoil Na Trionóide, Youghal

Opinion

1. Elyssa Thornhill, Coláiste an Chraoibhín, Fermoy
  2. Jara Schaufler, Moville Community College, Donegal
  3. Neasa O’ Farrell, Coláiste Muire, Ennis

School Newspaper

1. TY Times, Moville Community College, Donegal
  2. Realtín, Coláiste Muire, Crosshaven
  3. Banagher Examiner, Banagher College

Photojournalism

1. Isabella Danaher, Coláiste Muire, Ennis
  2. Maya Hogan, Coláiste Muire, Ennis
  3. Ava Farrell, St. Mary’s Secondary School, Ballina

Sports Journalism

1. Amelia Corcoran, Coláiste Muire, Ennis
  2. Trina Kennedy, Presentation College, Listowel
  3. Erin Leech, Moville Community College, Donegal
Carl O'Brien

Carl O'Brien

Carl O'Brien is Education Editor of The Irish Times. He was previously chief reporter and social affairs correspondent