This quick and easy recipe is one of many delicious recipes that can be found in the Life is Better with Fruit & Vegetables online cookbook, helping you to incorporate more nutritious fruit and vegetables into your daily routine.
Chinese chicken & vegetable soup
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2cm piece of ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 500g chicken oyster thighs, cut in half, fat removed
- 200g Rooster potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 leek, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ribbons
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 2tsp cornflour, dissolved in 1 tbsp cold water
1. Pour chicken stock into a large saucepan, add onion, celery, ginger and garlic, and bring to a boil.
2. Add chicken thighs, cover the pan with a lid, reduce to the lowest setting and simmer for 10 minutes to gently poach.
3. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken to a plate; then use two forks to shred finely.
4. Meanwhile, add potatoes, leeks and carrots to the soup; cook for 5-7 minutes and then stir in soy sauce and cornflour mixture and continue to cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in shredded chicken and scallions.
6. Ladle into warm bowls and serve.
The Life is Better with Fruit & Vegetables campaign is a three-year EU and industry-funded campaign promoting fun, educational and feel-good information and recipe inspiration. Full details of the campaign are available at fruitnveg.ie and the @lifeisbetter.ie accounts on Instagram and Facebook.